I am having a really busy week. So I needed a dish that is healthy, nourishing and that I can prepare in advance for several days. Luckily, I came across this delicious Red Lentil Dal with Coconut recipe from De Groene Meisjes (eng.: The Green Girls).
Jamie and Merel started her blog about responsible living a couple of years ago. They strongly believe that living “green” should and can be fun. That is, why they went out on a quest to find ways to live more responsible and happy at the same time. Part of it is (of course) cooking. Hence, every week they share several mouth-watering, plant-based recipes.
Their Red Lentil Dal with Coconut is for three to four portions. If you want to pre-cook for several days, you can leave it in the fridge for a couple of days or store it in the freezer. Here is what you need …
Easy Red Lentil Dal with Coconut
Servings: 3-4 // Prep Time: 20 minutes // Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup red lentils
3 garlic cloves
1 small onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon curcuma / turmeric
1 coconut milk or 1 package coconut cream
5 large tomatoes
Freshly ground sea salt and pepper
Fresh chopped cilantro and spring onion to garnish
Cooked rice for 3-4 portions
How you can do it:
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Add red lentils, cumin and curcuma. Stir until lentils are well coated with the oil and spices.
- Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils are soft, for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally about and add some water, if needed.
- To serve, place dal and rice in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and spring onion. Garnish with sea salt and pepper.
- If desired, serve with fresh lettuce, spinach and/or kale and top with some oil.