A couple of weeks ago I had a few lady friends over for dinner. They where curious what possibilities a plant-based diet offers. So, I was looking for a recipe that was lean, filling and healthy. Fortunately, I came across this delicious Zucchini Lasagna with Basil-Cashew Sauce from Healthy Recipe Ecstasy. It was a real treat and in no way inferior to a traditional lasagna. Additionally, I made a Roasted Eggplant Salad to add some freshness to the meal. It is a great meal, that you can prepare in advanced, especially if you get visitors.
Roasted Eggplant Salad and Zucchini Lasagna with Basil Cashew Sauce
Servings: 4–6 // Prep Time: 45 Minutes // Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Ingredients for Zucchini Lasagna with Basil-Cashew Sauce
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g diced tomatoes
- 180 g tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ Red pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium zucchinis
- Coarse salt
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Olive oil, for drizzling
How you can do it:
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Add cashews, almond milk, basil, garlic cloves and sea salt to a food processor or mix with a handheld blender until everything is smooth.
- Add diced onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, artichoke hearts and basil leaves in a bowl. Season with red pepper, sea salt and pepper. Blend all ingredients in a food processor or with a handheld blender.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice each zucchini into slices by using a potato peeler. It works best if your go around the middle of the zucchini as the core is mostly a bit soft and more difficult to peel.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the Artichoke-Tomato Sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover with the zucchini slices side-by-side. If you’re slices aren’t long enough for the entire casserole you can add another vertical row or place some slices horizontally to fill the space.
- Top the slices with ½ cup sauce and ¼ cup cashew cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a final layer of sauce and cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes and then bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the lasagna is golden brown.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
Ingredients for Roasted Eggplant Salad
- ½ eggplant
- 4 cups green lettuce (e.g. iceberg lettuce, garden lettuce)
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
- ½ cup alfalfa
- 1 avocado
- 6 tablespoons olive of linseed oil
- Lemon juice of ½ lemon
- Roasted bell pepper powder, sea salt and freshly grounded pepper.
How you can do it:
- Cut eggplant in slices. In a frying pan add two tablespoons of oil and melt it over medium heat. Add eggplants and season with roasted bell pepper powder, seas salt and pepper. Sauté until the eggplant is soft and a little brown. Then set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix the green lettuce and spinach. Cut avocados in dices and add to the salad. Cut the sundried tomatoes (works best with a scissor) and add to the salad.
- Place the roasted eggplant on top of the salad and add the alfalfa.
- Sprinkle oil and lemon juice over the salad. Garnish with salt and pepper.